About Egypt it is the cradle of civilization, the source of religions and the gate way to Africa.
About Egypt its over 50 centuries engendered the development of culture & civilization; Paranoiac, Christian, & Islamic; and, all during those long years, has generously contributed to Europe.
About Egypt it was the first state to establish a system of administration & a capital with the administrative & religious centers.
About Egypt Egypt it the cradle of civilization from time immemorial, has been blessed with an excellent climate that made it the center of attraction.
1 - About Egyptian Geography:
Location:North Africa, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, between Libya & Gaza Strip, & Red Sea north of the Sudan, & includes the Asian Sinai Peninsula.
Geographic coordinates: 27 00 N, 30 00 E
Tropic of Cancer is passing in the south of Egypt, through Lake Nasser.
Map references: Africa
Area: total: about 1,001,000 sq. km. land: 995,000 sq. km. water: 6,000 sq. km.
Land boundaries: total: 2,665 km. Boarder countries: Gaza Strip 11 km. Palestine 266 km. Libya 1,115 km. The Sudan 1,273 km.
Coast line: 2,450 km.
2 - About Egypt Climate:
- Desert; hot, dry, summers with moderate winters.
3 - Terrain:
- Vast desert plateau interrupted by Nile valley & delta.
4 - Elevation extremes:
- Lowest point: Qattara Depression -133 m
- Highest point: Mount Catherine 2,629 m
5 - About Egypt Natural resources:
- Petroleum, natural gas, iron ore
- phosphates, manganese, limestone
- gypsum, talc, lead, zinc
6 - About Egypt Land use:
- Arable land: about 3%
- Permanent crops: 0.47%
- Irrigated land: 33,000 sq km (1998 EST.)
7 - Environment & natural hazards:
- frequent earthquakes, landslides
- hot driving windstorm called “khamasin”, sandstorm
- increasing soil salivation, desertification, oil pollution, water pollution
8 - About People of Egypt:
About 77,000,000 (2004 est.)
- Age structure:
00-14 years: about 33.5%
15-64 years: about 62%
65 years & over: about 4.5% (2004 est.)
- Ethnic groups:
Egyptian, Bedouins, Berbers, Greek, Nubian, Armenian, other 99%
- Muslim 94%
- Christian & other 6%
10 - About Egyptian Languages:
- Arabic (official)
- English & French understood by educated classes
11 - About Egyptian Government:
- Country name:
- Conventional long form: Arab Republic of Egypt
- Conventional short form: Egypt
- Local short form: Misr
- Government type: republic
- Capital: Cairo
- 26 governorates (muhafazat) such as: Cairo, Giza, Alex, South Sinai, Minufiyah, Fayoum, Suey, Port Sa’id, Al Minya, Asyut, Qena, Luxor, Aswan …… etc.
- Independence from UK: 1922
- National day: 23 July 1952 (Revolution Day)
- Suffrage 18 years of age
12 - About Egypt Economy:
- Sources of income:
Custom duties & taxes, Tourism, Suez Canal, Oil, Agriculture, Industry ……
- Unemployed rate:
about 10% (2003 EST.)
- Exports – goods:
Crude oil & Petroleum products, cotton, textiles, chemicals, metal products
- Exports – partners:
US, Italy, UK, France
- Imports – goods:
Machinery & equipment, Foodstuffs, wood products, fuels, chemicals
- Imports – partners:
US, Germany, Italy, France, China
Egyptian pound (EGP)
13 - About Egypt Communication:
- Telephones – main lines
- Mobile cellular
- Radio broadcast: AM, FM
- TV broadcast (1995)
- Internet country code: .eg
14 - About Egypt Transportation:
- Railways: more than 5,000 km
- Highways: more than 64,000 km
- Waterways: 3,500 km
- Ports & harbors:
Alex., Damietta, Hurghada, Safaga, Port Said, Quseir, Marsa Matruh, Suez, Asyut, Aswan